Monday, January 05, 2004

C&C Bill Showdown

The conceal & carry bill is in limbo. It has passed both houses, but not yet gone to the Governor. Taft is threatening a veto:
Taft has threatened to veto the bill over public access to records of who has applied for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He thinks the public should have the right to find out who is carrying concealed guns. But the House has refused to go that far, instead allowing only journalists to request permitting records by asking for individual names.
I again have to wonder why the gun owner has more rights than I do. Why can a gun owner carry around a gun in public, but I can't find out about? Why can a gun owner "protect" themself from me (quell their irrational fears to put it another way), but I can't protect myself from them? Why can't I know who has the right to carry around an machine made to kill? Why can't I know who fears me, or people like me, and then keep away from people who think I might try and commit a crime against them. I would prefer keeping away from people that I might judge as being a few cards short of full house who also are carrying around a gun, maybe in my home.

Why deny property owners the right to screen gun carriers from their property? If I am having a children's party, do I not have the right to keep parents of kids who carry a gun off my property?

Why do gun owners deserve "special rights?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an idiot or your comment will be deleted.