Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Not Just Me
As a new editor I find it easier to proof read other people's work than my own. In My Miami University post below I did not proof read correctly, leaving a sentence unfinished. This is the Achilles’ heel of blogging: self-editing. When I read Peter Bronson's Column today, I was surprised to learn that I am not the only one with an editing problem. Review this paragraph from his column and tell me what is wrong:
Janet explained why gorillas walk on their knuckles - to protect their sensitive palms for food gathering - and Charlie rounded up a couple of kids to try on the "Gorilla Shirt" that has a 42-inch neck and 38-inch sleeves. They kids fit with room to spare.
In case you missed it, the last sentence seems to need some editing. If Peter wants to pay me, I would be happy to edit him. His problem would be that I might edit out many of his columns in their entirety. I am glad that I am not the only one who needs to improve on my proof reading. I would not want to be Peter's editor right now. I can sympathize. I truly can sympathize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be an idiot or your comment will be deleted.